Monday, March 16, 2009

Sacred Song Writing

I come from the theater. Oh I grew up on rock n’ roll and folk, but my real training in lyric writing was in the theater. It wasn’t until then that I really began to grow as a lyricist, as a storyteller.

The lyrics of a theatrical song have to have movement, they have to go from point A to point B dramatically. Otherwise they just tend to sit there on the stage, no matter how beautiful, and often end up getting cut from the show because they don’t move the plot forward and are too much of a stage wait.

So when I began to write sacred songs it was only natural that I wrote in theatrical traditions: Start with a problem, the more difficult, the better, and then, in the course of the song, work out the solution, or at least come to some point of change, some realization, so that a solution is in sight. Then you have drama and I know, in all of art, without drama, things tend to get a little thin or shallow. Drama is what holds people to the moments, keeps their interest. “What’s going to happen next?”

But (turning point) I found that sacred songs tended to not follow this tradition. They were often either all positive (mostly the case) or occasionally all negative. They often lacked the dramatic movement that I so naturally looked for in a good song lyric. I also found that they were not necessarily shallow and were quite often rich with content and inspiration, but, for me, just somehow did not go all the way in giving the listener what I felt they deserved.

So it is still my belief, still my natural style to write in the more theatrical tradition. I have to force myself to adapt the other and occasionally do. In the case of hymn writing, the older tradition is what is expected and so I’m probably not much of a natural hymn writer. But solos or choral pieces are a different story.

I like to think of these as musical testimonies. Start with the problem. End with the healing. And along the way illuminate how the healing was realized. Then, dramatically, you shed light on the subject and pull the listener through the dramatic story. The following song presents just such a dramatic surprise.

Where Were You
Music and Lyrics: Peter Link

Once I walked with you
How I burned
You were always there for me
And then I turned
So I walked alone
Through the cold
Wearied by regrets
A thousand fold

Where were you?
I tried turning the time back
Searching the ashes
Looking through stones unturned
But where were you?
I kept trying to find you
Tracing my footsteps
Searching through all I’d known

Where were you?
And where was I?
I kept passing through shadows
Searching the moonlight
Lost in the dark of night

Once I walked with you
Then I turned
I dared to go it on my own
But then I learned

You were there
All along in the sunrise
There in the moonlight
There in the rain with me

Where were you?
Always there in the forests
There in the waters
There in the children
There in the skylark
There in the lamp light
There in the dark

Always here in my life with me

No comments: