Monday, December 8, 2008

Tom Tipton

Tom Tipton grew up in Washington D.C. As a child he would get up every morning before school and hustle over to the White House and shine the shoes of the visiting dignitaries outside the fence as they entered for meetings with the President. Later on in life he was invited to sing for three different Presidents there in that same hallowed building.

I just finished 5 intense days of recording with Tom here in NYC. Tom just celebrated his 75th birthday and is this man ever still going strong! He still does probably 200 dates a year and is best known for singing at Rev. Robert Schuler’s Crystal Cathedral as a regular – over 120 times. He’s traveled the world and in between takes he kept me totally entertained with the stories of his amazing life – including the one where as a child he sat on the knee of the great Mahalia Jackson.

We’re doing a “Best of Tom Tipton” CD that will cover the musical highlights of his life. I had the great opportunity yesterday to sit and listen to his 7 CDs made over the last 40 years – a treasure trove of music defining the history of the African American Negro Spiritual. These were and are songs that are the backbone of our country, the heart of America, irrespective of color – songs like Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child, That Old Rugged Cross, Every Time I Feel The Spirit, What A Friend, How Great Thou Art. The list goes on and on.

We also recorded four new ones. Well, not new songs, but new recordings of classic songs. We did What A Wonderful World (the classic rendition recorded by Louis Armstrong a number of years ago). Move over Louis. This is a new version that will just make you glow and be glad to be alive.

We recorded a little known, but gorgeous Irish air called In A Cottage In Old Donagle that has one of those melodies that only the Irish can seem to come up with. An African American man singing an Irish air, you say? Made a believer out of me. Tom puts you in the green hills of Ireland on a moonlit night in the spring. He puts you there – goose bumps and all.

We did an international version of Sibelius’ Be Still My Soul that ought to stop war on earth for once and for all. This is a great classic melody that I’ve known all my life, but I’m sorry to say that I’d never stopped and investigated the words. I think my favorite is the second verse.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

I’ve saved my favorite till last. Goin’ Home is another great melody I’ve known all my life, but the words, oh Lord, the words… This song just kills me. And I ask here and now that this be sung by Tom Tipton at my memorial whenever that may be. This is a great classic rendition that will go down in recording history as one of those moments where singer meets song and a moment beyond human reach is created. If it sounds here like I’m bragging, I’m not. I’m simply proud to be a part of the greatness of this man and the greatness of this song. This is what a life in music is all about.

Studio work is tough – exacting, focused, concentrated and exhausting. This 75 year old man was like a racehorse – always ready to do another take, always connected to the moment, learning, teaching, laughing, making me weep and leading the way with his rich mellifluous voice and his deep understanding of this superb music. At the end of the five days he sat on my couch and spoke of his fatigue. We were both worn out. But that is not what I’ll remember about this experience. What I’ll remember is Tom singing his life in my studio and the rare opportunity to produce a piece of history.

To listen to Tom's newest album, please click on the blog entry's title and be automatically redirected to our website.


No comments: